• Blog Stats

    • 85,382 hits
  • Archives

  • Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

    Join 164 other followers

  • Copyright notice

    This blog entry and all other text on this blog is copyrighted, you are free to read it, discuss it with friends, co-workers and anyone else who will pay attention.

    If you want to cite this blog article or quote from it in a not for profit website or blog then please feel free to do so as long as you provide a link back to this blog article.

    If as a school teacher or university teacher you wish to use content from my blog for the education of students then you may do so as long as the teaching materials produced from my blogged writings are not distributed for profit to others. Also at University level I ask that you provide a link to my blog to the students.

    If you want to quote from this blog in an academic paper published in an academic journal then please contact me before you submit your paper to enable us to discuss the matter.

    If you wish to reuse my text in a way where you will be making a profit (however small) please contact me before you do so, and we can discuss the licensing of the content.

    If you want to contact me then please do so by e-mailing me at Chalmers University of Technology, I am quite easy to find there as I am the only person with the surname “foreman” working at Chalmers. An alternative method of contacting me is to leave a comment on a blog article. If you do not know which one to comment on then just pick one at random, please include your email in the comment so I can contact you.

  • Advertisements

Glue sniffing nightmare

I was innocently going about my work as an academic, I needed some literature references to teach a student about head space GC. (I have to admit I love GC and I dearly love the head space method).

I was somewhat shocked when I saw a paper entitled “A fatality due to inhalation of 1,1-difluoroethane (HFC-152a) with a peculiar device”, it was about some man in his 30s who died after some hardcore “glue sniffing” (more correctly volatile substance abuse). I read the paper and was disgusted, this unnamed man had gassed himself to death while in search of some sort of high.

When I saw the “peculiar device” I was disgusted, it was horrible.

The take home message is do not inhale weird gases to try to get high, it is very horrible. I have read that a common problem is that people under the influence of narcotic gases such as butane tend to hallucinate. They see something which scares then “like Freddy Kruger coming to get them” they then panic. This pushes up their adrenaline level. The combination of the narcotic gas and the adrenaline then causes a cardiac arrest which ends their lives.

So kids (and those with kids) always bear in mind that sniffing glue/gas/aerosols is a very bad idea. Do not do it !


Go on, Have your say !

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: